Jeffery Payne wrote a nice blog on agile test management. In this blog he states that agile opens up a lot of career opportunities as the test manager roles becomes more strategic in agile context.
“Unfortunately, many test managers try to keep their role the same. They attend every agile ceremony, insist their teams still attend a weekly status meeting and (…) want the authority to swap team members in and out of projects. (…) Time is very valuable when working in small increments, so any time spent providing status beyond the daily standup is a waste—as is time spent by test managers in sprint ceremonies. Still, there is a role for test managers in agile, and it’s much more strategic than it was before…”
Managers could focus on:
- growing the capabilities and skills of their staff.
- ensuring that agile teams have effective testing staff
- starting and running a testing center of excellence (CoE).
- Advocating the importance of testing to senior management .
If you want to read more on the role of test management in agile context, read the full blog by Jeffery: The Role of the Test Manager in Agile
Additionally I selected some of the work I have done on this topic, You can:
- Read the free eBook on Embedding Quality and testing in the SAFe framework I wrote with Mette Bruhn-Pedersen
- Check out the results of a workshop I gave with Jan Jaap Cannegieter: Do’s and don’ts for the test manager – a testnet workshop
- Watch the registration of the Practitest webinar I gave last September: When a Test Manager Makes a Difference
- and, even better maybe you can visit the tutorial Jan Jaap and I will be giving on the Agile Testing Days in November this year: Test Management in Agile.